Online Course: Dam Breach Modelling
Interactive online learning with expert modellers
Date: Thursday, 21 March 2019 - Thursday, 28 March 2019
– The course is delivered through 10 units via the learning platform
– 2 live and interactive sessions of 2 hours over two weeks:
– Thursday, 21 March, 10:30am (Australia/Adelaide Time)
– Thursday, 28 March, 10.30am (Australia/Adelaide Time)
– Sessions are recorded & uploaded to the learning platform if you cannot attend live.
– Workshop guide manual and example data files to complete exercises on your own time in between the live sessions.
– Pre-and-post-course materials to go through via the learning platform.
– Also includes up to one hour of optional one-on-one screen-sharing time with the instructor to assist with troubleshooting or to set up or optimise your own project model.
Topics covered include:
– 1D vs 2D vs 3D theory for dam breach
– Level pool vs. dynamic reservoir drawdown
– Adding a dam as a 1D reach or inline structure
– Selecting dam breach parameters
– Setting up and running a dam breach model
– Diagnosing and troubleshooting a dam breach model
– Model calibration and sensitivities
– Exporting inundation and flood wave arrival results
Requirements: A good internet connection and the latest version of HEC-RAS. Please note: HEC-RAS Version 5.0.4 and newer will only run on 64-bit Windows operating Systems (including 64-bit versions of Window 7, 8.0, 8.1 and 10). Make sure your operating system is up-to-date with all Microsoft patches for your version, before trying to install HEC-RAS.
Register Now! Places are limited for greater opportunity for interaction in the live sessions.
Outcome: On completion of the course attendees will be issued with a Certificate of Participation.
Previous attendees comments of HEC-RAS Courses:
– “The explanation on how things work behind the user interface was very helpful”
– “These online courses are a great, low-cost format, and would be happy to do more of these.”
– “Both the 1D & 2D Courses have been very helpful for me. Thank you”
– “The highly interactive nature of the session, allowing time for questions but also proceeding at a decent speed.”
– “The ability to interact as required via chat was hugely beneficial. The clarity of instruction was excellent.”
– “I found going through the all the exercises together was very useful. It has become really easy to replicate what I learnt in the session for my projects.”